Basic Oral Care
For most of us, thorough daily oral hygiene lays the groundwork for a healthy smile. Just a simple routine of brushing and flossing, in addition to regular dental check ups, can be enough in most cases to help prevent tooth decay, gum disease and bad breath.
Brushing Up on Technique
Since there are various techniques for brushing your teeth, it's a good idea to ask your smile.com.au approved dentist which one to use.
Here are a few tips to help you develop a good brushing routine:
- Brush twice a day
- Use a fluoride containing toothpaste to help prevent tooth decay
- Place your brush at a slight angle toward the gums when brushing along the gumline
- Use a gentle touch it doesn't take much pressure to remove the plaque from your teeth and a vigorous scrubbing could irritate your gums
- Concentrate on cleaning all the surfaces of the teeth
- Brushing your tongue gently can help remove bacteria that cause bad breath
The Importance of Flossing
Cleaning between your teeth is every bit as important as brushing.
- Since brushing can't effectively clean between teeth, it's important to use floss to get to those areas.
- Other items also are available to help you clean between your teeth. Ask you smile.com.au approved dentist which one to use.
- Clean between your teeth once a day.
- As with brushing, use a gentle touch to avoid injuring your gum tissue.
Oral Care Products
Sometimes just walking down the oral health care aisle in your local chemist is enough to make your head spin. With so many choices, how can you choose which products are best for you?
Here are some quick and easy ways to narrow your selection:
- Look for the Australian Dental Association seal of acceptance your assurance that products have met ADA standards of safety and effectiveness.
- Ask you smile.com.au approved dentist to help you choose the best products for your needs. Because there are distinctive oral hygiene routines and techniques, some products seem to work better for some individuals than for others. The best brush or interdental cleaner you can buy is the one you will use regularly and properly.
- Talk to your smile.com.au approved dentist or dental hygienist about your home care routine and technique he or she can help you get the job done properly.